Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Dying Flame

I guess the time is appropriate for another update.

Just back from the Annual Camp yesterday.

Despite the fact that people always say I set high and at times unreachable expectations, I still must say this camp was bad. Was considering to use the word "flop" but I guess its okay.
People should stop identifying my high expectations as an easy way out of an apparent screwed-up situation. I just don't understand why some can choose to settle for second best or simply compromise our standards and what we are.

This camp failed at 3levels for me. Firstly, the cadets. Turnout was bad, but that is as far as their responsibility goes.
Secondly, the NCOs. A bunch of un-motivated, short-sighted and unfit leaders I must say. But at the same night, lacking of guidance.
Thirdly and most importantly, the bulk of the blame should fall on those wearing the rank of and calling themselves the Cadet Inspectors.

I hear CIs asking for respect from the cadets, but see these CIs in action, throwing away whatever respect the rank commands, let alone earns.
I see CIs who knew nuts about what's going on in the camp, even neglecting the fundamental schedule.
I witnessed CIs who behave just like cadets do, or even worse. Honestly, if I were to pick my best NCO, they would fare much much better.

Before the camp, I had thought to myself that the camp was a good time for us CIs to trash things out. But that didn't happen.
What happened instead was a realisation. A realisation that we all have, but probably did not voice, until the HO started the ball rolling.

It is like we were without a direction, in the vaguest sense. But I think the best analogy be the one we attempt to put across to Ms Fauziah, albeit in a less than effective manner.

"We are a group of travellers, our destination, the rich and amazing Europe. But, we are without a map. And after trying to find our way around, with much obstacles, we are kind of tired."

For me, I'll just say its a dying passion.

We plucked up enough courage to surface the matter to our much respected officer. She came across as sincerely concerned and interested in hearing the problem.
She said alot to us. Her experiences, her opinions, her difficulties...and she heard ours.

What really made me agree was when she came to telling us why she has stayed on so long in the corps. 28 years to be exact.
It was because of her fervent conviction that the Corps has changed her life, making her a better person. That she believes that she can help change people as well.

For me, I thought that being in this extraordinary Corps taught me alot. Most of what I have today, is shaped by it. And I thought I wanted to make a difference.

But just as I expected, speaking to the officer indeed was a refreshing experience or should I say, motivating one. But I guessed the effect was only temporary. To really relight that flame within, we have to do it ourselves.

mE posted at 12:13 PM