Busy Dudes and Dudettes
As I was onboard the train to work this morning. I was suddenly jolted to ponder about passion and doing things with friends that share your passion.My mind zoomed back to the scene at Kallang Basin where I joined some of my friends while they were taking their 1-Star Kayaking Course. I was just there to kayak beside. I thought it was fun. Cos we were like doing something we enjoyed (at that time) together. Man, thinking back now, I really do wanna kayak again.Then I thought back to my NP officer. A scene where the CIs and her were having our unit meeting. I thought the way we were discussing about a common topic so heartedly, each waiting to share his views about our similar passion.But now, its really hard to find a friend who shares my passion. Be it NP, the water sports, or any other random activities that I would have a spontaneous temptation to try out. I guess I gotta wait till I've got better luck.Since we're on the topic on NP, I must say it's been some time since I rant a little about it. Was surfing the MOE website while I was idling at work at chanced upon the updated UG figures.From what I used to remember, NP had a total count of 20 000+ inclusive of officers and cadets, while the closest that caught up was NCC with like 17 000+, inclusive of all land, air and sea units.Now, the NP figures stand at 19 000+, while NCC registers 18 000+. Not that these figures are very significant but they indeed mean something. We are on the decline.I mean just look at the CIs we have now and you'll have a crystal clear idea. The CIs used to be those whipping the cadets up in shape and such, but right now, I suppose CIs earn themselves no rights nor respect to even give a whimper. There is something I think I need to put straight. I do not wanna risk anything bringing it up forefront. But I also understand that despite making it clear here, I would probably receive strong-headed rebuttals or lackadaisical acknowledgement. Not that it matters anyway, but I just need to say my piece.My duties in the unit were handed to my other counterparts, some reassuring me to study for the A's while the unit proceedings went on. Of course the academics was my priority.Anyway, the point is that some duties that were supposed to be done way before has accumulated to the present. It was the very same duties that I had a mind to complete before washing my hands off matters for the A's. The very same duties I was assured to be handed over while I mug for the A's.Alright, I could perhaps take it as a white lie that they may had wanted me to have a peace of mind mugging. Although I really hate being lied to.But, when the A's were over, I looked at things and realised the overdue duties. One of it that was previously under my jurisdiction, I volunteered to take over, asking if the other party was busy with school or whatsoever. To me, it was just right to assume my duties once my examinatons was over. But at the same time, not doing so allows the other party to pick up experience and learn along the way while he settle the duty.That was the very same reply I got when my asking to resume that particular duty was turned away. Thus, I volunteered to help out by giving ideas or just some nudges along the way. I have no intention to depict the entire issue. But at the present moment, the deadline of that particular mentioned duty is nearing. And the person in-charge, I'm afraid, have not done much from where I left off. I may be wrong though....When I check by with that party to follow-up, I was asked if I could resume that duty. Honestly, I must say, I was fucking pissed. I mean, it's not like my friends do not know me being particular about efficiency and all those crap. Truth is, I have no qualms about taking back this duty at the eleventh hour. Even if the party was to throw it back at me a mere couple days before it's due, I will do it. Even if I have to lose sleep over it I would.Now, yours truly feels particularly strongly at this point of time, that it is not just a matter of passion. It is not right to say that I will do it cos I'm passionate about the corps or whatsoever. Though I have to say the passion is diminishing. Truth is, the major part here is greater than a sense of responsibility, courage, and character.I think I need no spelling out to prove my case. I'm disappointed as I thought I could trust the person whom the job was handed to. I am perfectly fine with taking over at the moment, despite the party's irresponsibilty for going back on her words. But I must say the party's intended reason for throwing the load off was particularly glaring and, sorry for this but, disgusting.The party actually said "I'm sure you want to kill yr time in the offive (office)??"Also added "even if I have time, I also dont want to do."Alright, I must say office is getting a little peak at this time, though I usually finish my work before time. But then again, it would have been better if not for those two irritant sentences. Seriously.On another occasion, another fellow CI was to organise a unit meeting. The meeting was supposed to be in the Oct-Nov period but was put off due to yours truly. But now, approximately one month after I have finished the A's, it still ain't coming.That person even asked me to email him a reminder so that he would remember.At that point of time, I was like...WTF?! This minor thing also need to email to remind. You are not running a business here leh...And businessmen can pretty well remind themselves.Despite that, I sent the email, knowing that it would never serve its purpose. Now, I'm proven right.Seriously, I don't know what to say, so I rather not say anything. I think this is explicit enough.I think I'm trying to be no perfectionist nor trying to be difficult here. But putting off your duties for months, I really think its incredible. Forget it. Despite being disappointed, I can't stay angry for long. Guess I just have to give these peeps the benefit of the doubt. Let's just pretend that there are really busy to their neck...having to balance academics, (other) commitments and work... Yup...my frens are really busy dudes and dudettes...
mE posted at 9:49 PM